May 3 - 9, 2015
The Miracle City
During World War II, housing for those who came to Wichita to work at the airplane plants became critical, and government housing was built for the duration of the war. This postcard documents Planeview, built in 1943, southeast of Hillside and Pawnee for Boeing employees. On east Harry and Oliver the Hilltop Manor housing was constructed, and on east Douglas between Rock Road and Webb, the Beechwood area was also developed.
The art for this card was done by Rick Geary. It is number 168 in a limited edition of 500 and is signed by Hal Ottaway.