May 3 - 9, 2015
Latimer Reef Lighthouse
Located in the east end of Fischer's Island Sound, the light is in New York waters but only 4 miles southwest of Mystic, Connecticut. Originally equipped with a 5th order Fresnel lens, it was updated to a 4th order lens in 1899. The 49 foot tall conical tower is made of cast iron plates lined with brick assembled on a cement filled, cast iron caisson. Originally painted all brown, it was later painted white with a brown caisson and daymark band.
Now an unstaffed station, originally equipped with a fog bell, the fog signal is now given by an electronic fog horn on the watch room deck. The classical lens replaced in 1983 with a 300mm modern optic.
This postcard is from Earl Bucken.