Eesti - Estonia
1. Toomkiriku varemed / Ruins of the Dome Cathedral / Tuomiokirkon rauniot
2. Tartu Observatoorium / Tartu Observatory / Tarton observatorio
3. Kuradisild / Devil's Bridge / Paholaisen silta
Photos 1 - 2 Meelis Lokk
- - - - - - -
The observatory building was completed in 1810. The instruments were installed in 1814 by von Struve who subsequently started observations. In 1824, a 9" Fraunhofer refractor arrived, the largest achromatic telescope in the world at the time. When von Struve began assembling his Geodetic Arc (used to establish the exact size and shape of the earth) in 1816, the doorstep of the observatory became its first point.